• Own the famous 1926 Silver Peace Dollar alongside a 1925 coin for comparison
• It’s the only year of issue in which the word “GOD” is far more pronounced
• The coin only exists because of the unauthorised actions of someone in the Mint’s engraving department
• Limited numbers of this classic rarity imported from the US
Why I recommend The US Silver Peace Dollar “GOD” Controversy Pair…
In 1925, a row about the law stopping schools from teaching Darwin’s Theory of Evolution erupted in the US. A teacher (John Scopes) was arrested for defying the law and went to the courts in what became known as the Scopes Monkey Trial.
Whilst he was found guilty, the public perception was that his attorney had humiliated the prosecution’s lawyer and the country’s religious foundations were in the spotlight. It seems that someone in the engraving department of the US Mint wanted to have their say… Pick up any 1926 Peace Dollar and you’ll see the word “GOD” from “IN GOD WE TRUST” is far more prominent than any other year, making it one of the most collectable US coins ever issued.
Alex Hanrahan, Managing Consultant
The Peace Dollar 'God Controversy' Pair
(+ £4.99 p&p)
185 577G 3
Orders and payment terms are subject to acceptance and status.
We may perform a credit check.
(+ £4.99 p&p)
- Years of Issue: 1925, 1926
- Country of Issue: USA
- Metal: 90% Silver, 10% Copper (each)
- Weight: 26.73g (each)
- Diameter: 38.1mm (each)
- Designer: Anthony de Francisci
- Mintmark: None (Philadelphia Mint)